Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Recipe for success

I enjoy cooking and I wonder if it has anything to do with the comfort of the documentation involved.

Documentation for cooking = RECIPE.

I can honestly say that, without the reliable format of the common recipe, I would neither excel at nor enjoy cooking.

According to my friendly neighborhood etymologist (http://www.etymonline.com), the word recipe was originally used by physicians who wrote it at the head of prescriptions. It meant  "instructions for preparing food". So, there is no question that these instructions needed to be both precise and concise. 

Look at any recipe today and you'll most likely find the following elements:

There is a title: what you will be cooking
There is a list of ingredients: what you will need in order to cook it
There are the steps of preparation: how you will cook it

Isn't simplicity delicious?

No comments: